Disclaimer

The author of this blog is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As such the views expressed in this blog are influenced by the teachings of this faith and the author tries to keep as close to these teachings as he can with his limited knowledge. However, they are the views of the author whose understanding is not complete and may not reflect the official position of this church. For the official position of the LDS church, or for more information, please visit the links provided in this website under the title "LDS Church Websites".

Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Stories of the Scriptures

     One of the primary things members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints learn is a great appreciation for the scriptures.  We learn in Sunday meetings how valuable it is to intimately know the stories of Jesus Christ, the prophets, and the many people that are contained within the pages of those precious books.  And those who are wise will make studying the scriptures by themselves and in their families a part of their everyday lives.
     My parents made sure their children knew the stories of the scriptures.  So I have had the privilege of learning these wonderful stories since I was a child.  I’ve come to know just how much faith plays an intimate role in each and every one of these stories. 
     Trials come to everyone, but their choices regarding their faith in Jehovah impact the outcome of those trials.  Those who exercise faith in Jesus Christ, like Abraham, will at some point receive blessings from God.  And ultimately they will have everything God has.  That’s the promise that has been made to them. 
     On the other hand, those who falter and lose their faith in God, like Saul, lose the blessings of heaven and at some point find they have nothing left.  It’s true that many people who go through this life without faith in Jesus Christ have great wealth and riches.  But wealth and riches of the world cannot follow us into death.  So if they choose to never come unto Christ, they will find they won’t receive the riches of the kingdom of heaven.  They won’t have all that the Father has, for they had no faith in Jehovah.  Such was the case with King Saul and many others in the scriptures.
     Over the years a few of these stories have become special stories to me.  Some of them have been among my favorite stories since my youth, like the lives of Alma the Younger (found in The Book of Mormon:  Another Testament of Jesus Christ) and King David (found in The Old Testament portion of the Holy Bible).  Some of them have come to hold special meaning to me because of the experiences of my life, like the lives of Job (found in The Old Testament portion of the Holy Bible) and Joseph Smith, Jr., (found in The Pearl of Great Price) whose trials have exceeded the worst trials I’ve ever seen.
     Some of them hold dear places in my heart because of the wonderful words of wisdom that can be found within their pages, like the words of Isaiah (found in The Old Testament portion of the Holy Bible).  And some of them are so dear to me because they are the stories of the life of Jesus Christ, like His life and ministry (found in The New Testament portion of the Holy Bible) and His visit to the American continents (found in The Book of Mormon:  Another Testament of Jesus Christ).
     Whatever the reason is, I have come to hold specific stories and verses of scripture dear because of the lessons of faith they hold.  Most people who study the scriptures will find this happens to them.  Starting next week (not this week because I want a full blog entry for each), I want to spend a few blog entries highlighting some of the scriptures that mean a great deal to me.  These scriptures will hold different lessons for different people, just as God intended.  I want to share with you what makes some of the stories and verses of scripture so special to me. 
     I hope that as you read my next few entries, you will see how valuable the scriptures can be to somebody as ordinary as me.  And I hope you will recognize that if they can be so valuable to me, they can also be valuable to you.  The messages God has waiting for you in the scriptures are among the most valuable lessons, promises, and words of caution you will ever receive.  They are priceless.  So take the time to turn to the scriptures in your life.  And learn from them what God would have you learn.

1 comment:

  1. My 2 favorite scriptures are Proverbs 3:5,6, and Isaiah 55:8-9. These go hand-in-hand. The one in Proverbs says to trust in God with all of your heart, and not depend on your own knowledge. We should acknowledge Him, and He'll direct our paths. The Isaiah scripture says that God's ways are higher than our ways. Sometimes we're required to go through things that make no sense, but if we trust that God knows what He's doing in our lives, He will lead us to places greater than we could ever discover on our own. All we need to do is trust that He can see the big picture. These scriptures have brought a lot of peace to me throughout my life.

    ReplyDelete