Disclaimer

The author of this blog is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As such the views expressed in this blog are influenced by the teachings of this faith and the author tries to keep as close to these teachings as he can with his limited knowledge. However, they are the views of the author whose understanding is not complete and may not reflect the official position of this church. For the official position of the LDS church, or for more information, please visit the links provided in this website under the title "LDS Church Websites".

Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Place I Didn't Want to Be

     As I’ve been pondering what to write about for this week’s blog entry, my mind came to rest upon a young man I served with in Iraq.  I’ve decided I want to tell his story.  Yet in thinking about telling his story, my mind became seriously impressed with the need to first tell my story and why I was in the military. 
     During my teenage years, I had a strong desire to accomplish two goals in my life.  First, I wanted to serve as a full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I’ve always had a passion for the messages of Jesus Christ shared through this wonderful church, and I wanted to share that passion while serving as a missionary.  My second desire was to have a family of my own.  I’d often spend time thinking about what fun it would be to teach my children, particularly sharing with them my passion for the Resurrected Lord Jesus.
     Yet, as the time for me to serve as a full-time missionary drew near, I had some spiritual experiences that led me to conclude that wasn’t where the Lord wanted me.  So I spent a lot a time praying for guidance and finally made the decision not to go on the mission I had been looking forward to all my life.  I still don’t know if it actually was the decision my Heavenly Father wanted me to make, but I trusted it was and acted in faith and prayer.  I knew that, because of my faith, He would make my decision the best it could be for me, even if that meant correcting my decision.
     For a short time after that, I found myself feeling adrift and lost.  I no longer had a purpose.  What was I supposed to do?  Who was I supposed to be?  Where did I belong?  I really didn’t know what to do next.
     Then I received a call from an army recruiter asking for an opportunity to meet with me and discuss how the Army could help me.  When I heard the voice of the recruiter explaining the purpose of his call, my first instinct was to scoff.  I had absolutely no desire to join the military.  And, even if I did by some miracle join the military, the Army not where I wanted to be.  Who would want to join the army when the Air Force had all the best toys?  If I had to join the military, it would definitely be the Air Force.  The Navy certainly sounded better than the Army, also.  They had all the beautiful ships.  The United States Army was one of the last places I wanted to be. 
     Imagine my surprise, then, when I found I couldn’t tell the recruiter I wasn’t interested.  Instead I found myself making an appointment with him so he could visit me at home—home of all places!  “It’s okay,” I told myself.  “He’ll come, you’ll tell him you’re not interested, and you’ll move on with your life.”  Yet I knew that wasn’t true.  I knew my future was with the United States Army.  So it was that he came, we talked, and I found myself in one of the last places I wanted to be.
     This was truly a trying test for me.  I found it incredibly difficult to make it through Basic Training.  The irony is Basic Training wasn’t even that difficult when I think about it.  Sure, drill sergeants yell at you and make you do a lot of exercise.  But you know where you’re going to sleep, you know who you’re going to be with the next day, you know by and large what is expected of you the next day, and you know you’re going to get three meals of some quality between mediocre and great.  There aren’t a lot of surprises and it’s really not that difficult.
     But it was difficult for me because I didn’t want to be there.  I often found myself lamenting that I was in the military instead of teaching that Christ the Lord lives.  I hated that my life was going so much differently than I had planned.  I plotted ways to get out of my current circumstances, and I prayed asking the Lord to get me out of there and take me somewhere I wanted to be.  I had full faith in Him, and I believed He could make my life better than it currently was.  I still believed He would make my life the best it could be because I continued to trust Him and tried to do what I believed He was directing me to do.
     Irony struck again.  God did make my life better than it was, just as I kept hoping for, but He didn’t do it by taking me out of the military.  Instead He did it by helping me come to terms with my circumstances and seeing the good that could come out of it.  He started giving me opportunities to speak with others around me about God.  I suddenly found myself having opportunities to share the messages of joy about my Heavenly Friend that I so desperately wanted to share.  And God carried me through Basic Training.  He carried me through the advanced training specific to my specialty in the military.  He carried me through a tour of duty in Iraq.  And, through it all, He placed people in front of me who wanted to know what I knew about the Messiah.
     A few years have passed since that time.  Now, looking back, I can see so many large impacts the military had on my life for the better.  I have been able to grow from my time in the military, and I know that I have my Savior Jesus Christ to thank for it.  Because I had faith in Him, trusting and believing He would guide my life for the best, He did.
     From this I learned that God can make you the best you can be no matter where you’re at if you have faith in Him.  You’re life doesn’t have to follow your idea of the perfect life.  You can find yourself in places you don’t want to be.  You may have to endure some trying times you’d rather not endure.  But if you continue to trust and have faith in the Lord Jehovah, you will find God will help you through the tough times and make them good for you.
     The promise of Jesus holds true.  “”Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart:  and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”  (Matthew 11:28)  If you come unto Christ, the tough times won’t be so tough.  When you find yourself in places you don’t want to be in, He will make them good for you, and He will help you through.

No comments:

Post a Comment