Disclaimer

The author of this blog is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As such the views expressed in this blog are influenced by the teachings of this faith and the author tries to keep as close to these teachings as he can with his limited knowledge. However, they are the views of the author whose understanding is not complete and may not reflect the official position of this church. For the official position of the LDS church, or for more information, please visit the links provided in this website under the title "LDS Church Websites".

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Faith

     Easter is upon us!  I love Easter.  I have a very difficult time deciding if I like Easter or Christmas more.  After all, Christmas celebrates the birth of our Lord and King, while Easter the sacrifice of our Redeemer and Savior, who suffered and died to reclaim our souls.  Doesn't it make sense that it would be hard deciding which to like more?
     Since today is Easter Sunday, I want to spend a little time talking about the sacrifice Jesus the Christ made on behalf of the world.  You can read about these events in the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.  Each tells a different part of the story, and together they give a very informative picture of the events that took place during the last days of the life and ministry of Jesus.
     I don't want to spend my time focusing on the details told about the last events of the life of Christ as told in the gospel accounts.  I want to instead focus on the faith it would have taken for Jesus to submit to the will of Heavenly Father at this time.
    Take a few moments and imagine yourself in the shoes of Jesus.  You have the power of God at your call.  You have proven many times that you have the power to simply remove yourself from danger.  And now the hour comes that you are supposed to suffer for the sins of the world.  You know this suffering will be the greatest suffering anybody has ever endured.  You also know that immediately after this suffering, the time will come when you will need to submit to the authorities and allow yourself to be slain by prejudice and hatred.  Would you do it?  Could you even do it?
     I would like to think that I could and would, but I know I wouldn't have the willpower.  I am not that selfless.  And I doubt any other person who has walked this earth other than Jesus Christ would have to admit they couldn't either if they were fully honest.
     I know Jesus Christ was perfect in every way as He walked on earth.  I have no doubt this is true.  But I also know Jesus had to learn and grow in faith just like any other person who has walked this earth.  He may not have made the mistakes the rest of the world makes, but He was required to live, learn, and grow just like us.  It was the only way He could truly understand what we go through so He could succor us in our hour of need.  It was the only way He could be presented with temptation so He could overcome it and prove His worth.  It was the only way the eternal plan of Heavenly Father could be fulfilled.
     So Jesus walked by faith throughout His life.  And that faith led Him to a time when He was presented with the need to suffer in Gethsemane and die on the cross at Calvary.  The wonder of these events is made far more miraculous to me when I realize that Jesus had to exercise faith at these times.  He was certainly very familiar with the scriptures.  He certainly was very close to God.  And He certainly knew this was His destiny.
     Yet I know that Lucifer the great Devil was at large in the world at that time just as He is know.  And He would have focused every ounce of His energy upon Christ at that time to try and stop the most important events in history.  So I have no doubt that Jesus would have been given every temptation the hosts of Hell could muster to try and convince Him not to go through with it.  And that is a lot of power against Jesus, for the power of Lucifer is real.
     So isn't it all the more marvelous to you to realize that Jehovah, the Son of God, had the power to overthrow the most demonic forces the world has ever known?  Don't you find it marvelous to realize that, inspite of the pain Jesus knew was coming, He threw aside Himself and acted on behalf of the world?  Isn't it marvelous to know that Jesus was so pure He could submit to the will of God at His darkest hour?
    I tell you it is marvelous.  I can't help but marvel.  And I can't help thanking my Heavenly King for this wonderful gift.
     You may try to erase these events from history, claiming they never took place.  You may argue the scriptures aren't true, or Jesus was simply a good man and these are metaphors. 
     But I testify to you they are true.  I know they took place just as sure as I know I exist.  No, I didn't live back then.  No, I haven't seen these events in a vision.  I have simply read them in the scriptures, heard testimony from others about them, and chose to believe they were true.  And from these I have had the Spirit of God testify to me they are true. 
     I know without a doubt that Jesus walked this earth.  I know without a doubt that He came to the hour when the weight of the world would fall upon Him.  I know without a doubt that Lucifer and the hosts of Hell tried to stop Him.  And I know without a doubt that Jehovah forsook Himself and followed the will of God to save all who would come unto Him.  And this is what we celebrate at Easter time.  This is your gift from the Holy Son of God.  All you have to do is accept it through repentance and obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment